‘ECNR’ represents “Emigration Check Not Required”.
Every person whose passport does not have the ECR seal/stamp/remarks are not liable to obtain ‘Emigration Clearance’ from the POE.
The following list indicates a person who does not require ‘Emigration Clearance’ or the person eligible for ECNR Passport:
- All holders of Diplomatic/Official Passports.
- All gazette Government Servants.
- All income-tax payers (including Agriculture Income Tax Payees) in their individual capacity.
- All professional degree holders, such as Doctors holding MBBS degrees or Degrees in Ayurveda or Homoeopathy; Accredited Journalists; Engineers; Chartered Accountants; Lecturers; Teachers; Scientists; Advocated etc.
- Spouses and dependent children of a category of persons listed form (2) to (4).
- Persons holding class 10 or higher qualification.
- All persons above the age of 50 years.
- All persons who have been staying abroad for more than three years (the period of three years could be either in one stretch or broken) and their spouses.
- Children who are below 18 years of age.
- Seamen who are in possession of CDC or Sea Cadets, Desk Cadets (i) who have passed final examination of three year B.Sc Nautical Science Courses at T.S. Chanakya, Mumbai; and (ii) who have undergone three months Pre-sea training at any of the Government approved Training institutes such as T. S. Chanakya, T. S. Rehman, T. S. Jawahar, MTI (SCI) and NIPM, Chennai after production of identity cards issued by the Shipping Master, Mumbai/Calcutta/Chennai.
- Persons holding permanent immigration Visas, such as the visas of UK, USA and Australia.
- Persons possessing two years diploma from any institute recognized by the National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) or State Council of Vocational Training (SCVT) or persons holding three years diploma/equivalent degree from institutions like Polytechnics recognized by Central/State Governments.
- Nurses possessing qualification recognized under the Indian Nursing Council Act, 1947.